1996-02-16 - Re: Cookie Crumbles

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: jsw@netscape.com
Message Hash: 334bf4c7d2579b964adabdcfb19facb664401e086490b519c2b617531d6245cc
Message ID: <199602151345.IAA10572@pipe1.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:46:26 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:46:26 +0800
To: jsw@netscape.com
Subject: Re: Cookie Crumbles

Responding to msg by jsw@netscape.com (Jeff Weinstein) on Thu,
15 Feb  1:22 AM

>  You may choose not to believe me, but I have been
>planning to add an option  to disable cookies in the
>next release for quite some time now.
>
>  Just disabling cookies won't keep sites from tracking
>your movements.  Many sites require you to register and
>log in when you access them.  These sites will be able
>to track your movements through them with or  without
>cookies.

Jeff,

You shoot electro-ammunition straight, so your credibility is
solid. HQ should take target practice from you. Although
explanations on this list may not be comprehensible to the
public, or to NSCP's PR Dept.

What are the chances that NSCP might add a feature that would
allow customers to say yes or no at login to tracking their
movements at any site visited, with a friendly notice that
tracking analysis was being done?

That might redeem the exchange value of cookies, and perhaps
come closer to gving customers equality with the merchants, and
merchants credibility with customers. As you are giving
Netscape here, despite Wall Street's treachery.

Thanks for your even-tempered and well-aimed potshots here.

John

Thread