1996-02-26 - How to digitally watermark

Header Data

From: Dave.Birch@eworld.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 36c13d3f5c421464848b8717a4a2919be90248e4432c705de74a2ca2db40ac3e
Message ID: <96022523313825973087@hp1.online.apple.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-02-26 07:57:24 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:57:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Dave.Birch@eworld.com
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:57:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: How to digitally watermark

>Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org> wrote..
>Creating watermarks that can't be removed without degrading
>image quality is not especially difficult.  The two tricky bits are
>durability and collusion protection.

I don't know how the scheme in question works, but the general way in
which these kind of watermarks work is the use of spread spectrum coding.
So long as you choose a long enough spreading code, you can survive most
of the information being destroyed in a transform and still recover the
information.

If a particular transformation (e.g. JPEG coding) stops you from doing
this, then you pick multiple orthogonal codes (interested readers who
want to hit the text books could try the key words "Gold Codes") and
encode after each transform. So, you encode your original TIFF then
covert it to a JPEG and encode again with an orthogonal code from the
same family. Since the two codes don't interfere with each other, you can
recover the watermark however you are viewing the picture.

One particular transformation that a long enough code can withstand is
scanning a magazine picture. So, you could watermark your picture of the
Eiffel Tower before selling it to a magazine. Then, when it pops up on
the Net because someone's scanned it in you can prove that it was your
picture. What use this is I don't know, since I can't see how you can
prove who scanned it!

Incidentally, spread spectrum means that you can put several signals into
the same bandwidth and recover each of them (if you have all of the
codes). Short codes are used to protect against interference (the NCR
wireless LAN range uses an 11 bit code, for example) while very long
codes are used to recover data in situations where the signal falls below
the noise level (I think I remember reading that the Voyager spacecraft
used 252,000 bit codes).

I hope someone, somewhere finds this interesting...

David G.W. Birch                          8 Frederick Sanger Road
Director, Hyperion                           Surrey Research Park
Tel: +44 (0)1483 301793                                 Guildford
Fax: +44 (0)1483 561657                        Surrey GU2 5YD, UK

Where people, networks and money intersect.......Consult Hyperion
http://www.hyperion.co.uk                    daveb@hyperion.co.uk

Thread