1996-02-03 - Re: Futplex makes the news!

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3c11243e3640f1aa75b38a1842d9d078683377cf1d9c9cbbe26a184b81996015
Message ID: <ad37cb251902100476f7@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 08:02:50 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 08:02:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Futplex makes the news!

At 8:47 PM 2/2/96, Richard Martin wrote:

>http://www.boston.com/globe/ap/cgi-bin/retrieve?%2Fglobe%2Fapwir%2F033%2Fre
>g%2Fag052102
>
>Is an AP report on the at-home censorship.

Many thanks for providing this, Richard! I just read it, and it worries me.

If UMass has yielded, the prominently mentioned CMU and Stanford sites may
be prompted to exactly the same thing. This will "prove" to the Germans
that they did the right thing, and be a blow in _favor_ of suppression of
speech.

I hope some other sites have the mirrored material and are not reeds in the
wind as at least one university is.

(Did I hear correctly that Futplex has "volunteered" to perform 500 hours
of community service at the Simon Wiesenthal Center's Boston office? And
that he has volunteered to attend 50 hours of sensitivity training? Or am
thinking of Cornell?)

Not to make light of this sorry episode, you understand. But my guess is
that unless Futplex immediately begins to grovel to the campus bigshots and
explain how his judgment was impaired by exposure to fascist Cypherpunks,
that his days at UMass as a grad student are numbered. This is the way
universities seem to handle these things.

--Tim, who hopes he's wrong....

Boycott espionage-enabled software!