1996-02-14 - Re: V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: “Declan B. McCullagh” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 47594a1c67c5218074b2b7217a167615ad47007dc1521cc13be4ee3eb3eb7889
Message ID: <199602140333.TAA07066@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 17:51:31 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 17:51:31 +0800
To: "Declan B. McCullagh" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

At  8:15 PM 2/13/96 -0500, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:
>Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 13-Feb-96 Re: V-chips, CC, and
>Motorc.. by Bill Frantz@netcom.com
>> Adding money to the pot will attract rational (and amoral) people who will
>> then make a determination based on (1) profit, and (2) risk, which includes
>> getting caught or killed.  It seems to me that Secret Service levels of
>> protection can protect a public figure against even Assassination Politics.
>
>That may well be true, but speaking as someone who's worked on U.S.
>Presidential campaigns, that kind of protection is expensive,
>time-consuming, intrusive, and unlikely to be extended.

I assume that both Declan and Jim Bell agree that people high in the
government will be immune because they already enjoy this level of
protection (limitation one).  So the only people we can hit are the cannon
fodder, not the ones who gave the orders.  It has always been this way with
war.

If, after a couple of the Waco people had been hit, I was given the
responsibility to protect them I would proceed as follews:

(1) Gather them and their families onto some Army base and step up the
patrols.  Now I have them safe.

(2) Train and release them thru the witness protection program.  Cost
$20,000/person (if I remember the article John Young posted a pointer to
correctly.  (Thanks John))  This is probably about the same as the cost of
their training, so it makes economic sense.

(3) Make sure that the names/faces of the cannon fodder in future actions
are not available to make it harder to target the guilty.

Bill

Thread