1996-02-24 - Re: TIS–Building in Big Brother for a Better Tommorrow

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4c8bd91bfc0b6cef3ae7bffca110d434a16a62d0fe5a841ddb796cef4e93d8ca
Message ID: <199602240134.UAA07386@pipe11.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:52:35 +0800

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:52:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: TIS--Building in Big Brother for a Better Tommorrow

On Feb 23, 1996 00:19:15, '"P.J. Ponder"
<ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>' wrote:

>Steve Walker wrote to John Young:
>
>(large piece snipped; good stuff though.)
>
>+  Suppose the U.S. government had never thought of placing
>export controls on cryptography...
>
>We would now have widespread use of encryption, both
>domestically and worldwide; we would be in a state of
>"Utopia," with widespread availability of cryptography
>with unlimited key lengths. But, once in this state, we
>will face situations where we need a file that had been
>encrypted by an associate who is unavailable (illness,
>traffic jam, or change of jobs). We will then realize
>that we must have some systematic way to recover our
>encrypted information when the keys are unavailable.

The exchange of information among many trusted people all located in the
same geographical location (or with regular reliable couriers travelling to
different locations) is the ideal situation for *private* not public key
crypto. In such circumstances one uses, e.g. IDEA, not PGP.

End of corporate problem. End of "worry" about problems with PGP.

--tallpaul

Thread