1996-02-04 - Re: Flaw in FV process (was FV and Netscape slagging each other off :-)

Header Data

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
To: Jeff Weinstein <jpp@software.net>
Message Hash: 4dafd8710bcd008bb1d4bb3aedf361f9b56a55703362d63189b8cc0cf2da31ef
Message ID: <Ql5DNOuMc50e12cBg_@nsb.fv.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960131235757.00d078d8@mail.software.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-04 18:33:41 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 02:33:41 +0800

Raw message

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 02:33:41 +0800
To: Jeff Weinstein <jpp@software.net>
Subject: Re: Flaw in FV process (was FV and Netscape slagging each other off :-)

Excerpts from mail.cypherpunks: 31-Jan-96 Flaw in FV process (was FV ..
John Pettitt@software.ne (1168*)

> In the FV model as I understand it I'd have to ship the software and wait for
> an approve/deny/fraud from the user.  If it's anything but approved I'm SOL,
> I still have to pay Microsoft for the product but I didn't get paid.

Actually, that's not quite right.  People dealing in physical goods
typically ship them AFTER the "yes" response from the user.  And one of
the next enhancements to our system, currently implemented and in
testing in-house, will feature digitally signed notices to merchants
when credit card authorization is obtained.  At that point, the
merchant's risk will be no greater than in traditional mail-order credit
card sales.

> Solve that process flaw and I'll add FV support to software.net.

Glad to hear it!  -- Nathaniel
--------
Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@fv.com>
Chief Scientist, First Virtual Holdings