1996-02-19 - Re: CDA outside US (Including Indian Reservations)

Header Data

From: Sean Morgan <sean@lucifer.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4e481749c3a72eeca85907c0b54208258c71a12a20e1df190ae8f7dcebf6990a
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960219012151.006a34c4@lucifer.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:47:41 +0800

Raw message

From: Sean Morgan <sean@lucifer.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:47:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CDA outside US (Including Indian Reservations)

Ed Carp <erc@dal1820.computek.net> wrote:

>Another problem - if you ever want to get into the US, you can kiss that
>chance goodbye.  They might not even let you into the country as a
>visitor.  Stupid.

This is not an idle threat.  When Pierre Trudeau was elected prime minister
of Canada (1969?) there was some scrambling in the US to get him off the
_persona non grata_ list.  Seems that in his student days he had been busted
for trying to kayak from Florida to Cuba.  Canadian author Farley Mowatt
(sp?) was turned back at the border for imagined pinko associations (best
guess was that it was because he had traveled to the USSR to research _Sibir_).

Such a blacklisting would really hurt me in my current job.  I made about 15
business trips to the US (from Canada) last year.

>A fair number of Western countries have laws that say,
>in effect, that if you do something in your country that isn't illegal in
>your country but is in country X, then country X can bar you entry or PR
>status or citizenship based on the fact that is *is* a crome in country X.

That makes no sense.  "Country Y would pass a law saying that country X may
bar you for something country X doesn't like"??  That's unnecessary on two
counts: Country Y has no jurisdiction in X, and X doesn't need Y permission
anyway.  Example, so called "sex tourist" from western countries travel to
the far east to have sex with minors.  You can't do it back home, but there
nothing to stop you from doing it abroad.  Or if you want an example closer
to home, how about Californians traveling to Nevada to gamble?
Sean Morgan (sean@lucifer.com) | Let me tell you a few bits about myself:
                               |   CACTTGCCGGGTAACACTCCATGAAATTCTTCTCAGCC
http://www.lucifer.com/~sean/  |   AGGTGTCGACGCTAGGATCAACCTTTAAGTGAACT...

Thread