1996-02-21 - “This is not Coderpunks–we don’t need no steenking cryptography!”

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4e94fbcd222a1fee317ef447c65a8567cac86683cfd72daf914885aacfb49d0f
Message ID: <ad50b3ff09021004c04a@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 05:58:59 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 05:58:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "This is not Coderpunks--we don't need no steenking cryptography!"

At 6:51 PM 2/21/96, Peter Monta wrote:

>Cypherpunks used to be a place where I could fairly reliably see
>high-SNR commentary from real cryptographers/number theorists.
>Now we have the blind replying to the blind's obfuscatory
>nonsense, and the useful posts take some effort to find.

I believe this is why the "real cryptographers/number theorists" are now
supposed to post to "Coderpunks."

While I agree with your points, it now appears that this is the way things
are dividing up:

* Coderpunks -- number theory, DES, Haval, C/C++/Java, IETF and TCP/IP
stuff, digital signatures, crypto libraries and APIs, Diffie-Hellman,
BSAFE, RSAREF, etc.

* Cypherpunks -- nuclear bomb triggers, why women are more free under the
will of Allah than in Western decadent societies, movie reviews, SS
Obergruppenfuhrer Zimmermann, Zambian newspapers, alien bases in
Antarctica, Himalayan treks, etc.

Coderpunks is a membership-only list, with a list.cop who approves
membership and who expels those who post inappropriate material.
Cypherpunks is an open list, with no one ever having been expelled.

So, if anyone asks "What does this have to do with cryptography?!?!," point
out to him that this is Cypherpunks, not Coderpunks!

"Cryptography? You want _crytography_? This is not _Coderpunks_! We don't
have to show you no steenking cryptography!"

--Tim

Boycott espionage-enabled software!