1996-02-12 - Availability of high-speed DES chips.

Header Data

From: Mark Aldrich <maldrich@grctechs.va.grci.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5d6c29703a10f18f91f669468f55425727759ae6feb9783dd0bd198265295168
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.91.960212095328.7080A-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 02:00:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Mark Aldrich <maldrich@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 02:00:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Availability of high-speed DES chips.

I've got a networking application upon which I'm working that requires
high-speed DES capability that can be clocked up to around 20
megabytes/second.  We're going to have to do circuit board level design,
so I can't plug a stand-alone box on the ass-end of the network device -
it's got to be planted into our network controller.  This thing is going
to provide ATM/SONET communications.

Does anyone know of any chip sets that can run at this speed?  Input
regarding either commercial or R&D sources would be appreciated.  I know
that two years ago at the Internet Security meeting in San Diego we saw a
parallel processor configuration of DES chips, but I can't remember which
University in North Carolina was working on this.  If anyone knows if
this research went anywhere, I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

Thanks for the help!

|So, I went walking through the street.   |Mark Aldrich                 |
|I saw you strung up in a tree.           |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|A woman knelt there, said to me,         |maldrich@grci.com            |
|Hold your tongue, man, hold your tongue. |MAldrich@dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich@grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |