1996-02-08 - Re: Assassination Politics–isn’t it gambling?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Message Hash: 6532337c12303d22e33435225ec6ab638aac26407afa7d37799b4008617de583
Message ID: <m0tkaxr-0008yTC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 03:00:04 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 03:00:04 +0800
To: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Subject: Re: Assassination Politics--isn't it gambling?

At 10:05 AM 2/8/96 -0500, Brian Davis wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, jim bell wrote:

>> At 06:00 PM 2/6/96 PST, banelaw@med.com wrote:
>> >Jim: as to "Assassination Politics."  Isn't the structure you describe
>> >gambling?  Placing money on a prediction, with the correct predictor
>> >winning?
>>
>> I guess that depends on the laws, doesn't it? <G>   Seriously, though, since
>> all the participants are anonymous, and it can all be done from overseas...
>>
>> Somehow, though, I think politicians will take little solace from knowing
>> that they are protected from death only by laws against gambling.
>
>Yeah, those silly homicide laws don't apply if there is a bet on the line.

Don't tell me; let me guess:  You haven't read the essay, and you're not a
lawyer, right?

>> > And if so, isn't it illegal if done over the wires, i.e., federal
>> >commerce?  I'm not looking for a way to declare your scheme illegal, I'm
>> >just pointing out that there are other angles, especially if done over the
>> >wires.
>>
>> I'd sure like to read a serious legal analysis of all this.  Maybe all the
>> lawyers are too terrified to respond.
>>
>Wire fraud would be the least of your worries.  Try conspiracy to commit
>murder.

Don't tell me, let me guess:  You haven't read the essay, and you're not a
lawyer, right?

I've been posting this for months on various areas of FIDOnet, USENET, and
now here.  I have never seen a lawyer seriously attempt to refute my
analysis.  If you really WERE a lawyer, and had read what I wrote, you would
have been able to be FAR more detailed in your reasoning.

>> jimbell@pacifier.com
>>
>> Klaatu Burada Nikto
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I know I should know it, but can't place it.  Help
>anybody?
>
>EBD

1950(1) SF movie called "The Day the Earth Stood Still."  (This was the
phrase Klaatu asked the woman to convey to Gort, his faithful (and
indestructible and invincible) robot, in order to summon help.)

Anyway, the relevance of all this will become clear, eventually.  The reason?

"Something is going to happen.    Something...  Wonderful!"    (2010)

Thread