1996-02-21 - Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Header Data

From: dan@milliways.org (Dan Bailey)
To: ipgsales@cyberstation.net
Message Hash: 671d83526ca628020724e5037e2d908e5be4e319861e674241aba70f1253bf71
Message ID: <199602211534.KAA02195@remus.ultranet.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 01:10:07 +0800

Raw message

From: dan@milliways.org (Dan Bailey)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 01:10:07 +0800
To: ipgsales@cyberstation.net
Subject: Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Perhaps you should apply for an export license for your software.  I'm
sure that the ability to use your system across national borders fits
nicely within your marketing strategy.  To do so, you simply submit
your product to the U.S. National Security Agency, and submit a
Commodity Jurisdiction application to the State Department.  After the
NSA evaluates its security, you'll be able to sell your product
overseas.  Please see pages 610-618 of Applied Cryptography, Second
Edition for general information on the process.
	By the way, you might note that Cypherpunks is only a mailing list,
there is no way to get the signed consent of everyone on the list to
agree to anything, much less formal rules of a contest.  My suggestion
is to post the OTP-expansion algorithm to sci.crypt.  It's really in
all of our best interests to have the greatest number of people
examining your product.  Think of the publicity it will generate.
Your work will remain protected with whatever patents or copyrights
you have applied for.  This approach is nothing new, RC2 and RC4 were
both posted to sci.crypt.  Both are in wider use today because of it.
Both algorithms stood up to many people's tight scrutiny.  I think
your algorithm should be given the chance to do the same.
						Dan

Support your local info-calypse				 dan@milliways.org
"The Internet cannot be regulated.  It's not that laws aren't relevant,
     it's that the nation state is not relevant." Nicholas Negroponte, 1996
       The Cypherpunks: Civil liberties through complex mathematics.