1996-02-09 - Re: Money & CreditCard URLs

Header Data

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Message Hash: 6ba6e207b66657b0d879fdfb9963de1dbf0ce0645bf6015fc6204edbc1ddcc86
Message ID: <199602090846.DAA24940@opine.cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <ad40604c00021004f57b@DialupEudora>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-09 22:14:19 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 06:14:19 +0800

Raw message

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 06:14:19 +0800
Subject: Re: Money & CreditCard URLs

Norm Hardy writes:
> Here is a fragment of html that points to several online money or payment
> systems.
[...]
> I would be pleased to receive further such URLs.

RAH recommends Phill H-B's page o' annotated links, and I think I'll second
that right now:
	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Payments/roadmap.html

RAH's e$ page has a pile of good links too:
	http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/sites.html

Coincidentally I am in the midst of sifting through the results of an Alta
Vista search for "micropayment". I just ran into a site dated yesterday that
doesn't seem to be on Phill's list yet. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but
I admit my eyes have been glazing over amid the tide of net.payment systems
PR.

	http://www.webatm.com/

I found these folks via an article in the Jan. 10 Web Week
(http://pubs.iworld.com/ww-online/wed/0110.html).

The under-construction welcome page says in part:

"The WebATM will soon begin worldwide testing of the first truly anonymous,
cash-based online transaction system - no credit cards or bank accounts
needed. Totally anonymous cash "virtual" accounts will now be possible via
the WebATM, allowing anyone to quickly and easily purchase goods and services
anywhere on the Web - including very small purchases of a few pennies
(micro-payments.) Of course if you prefer to use a credit card for your
online purchase you may do so - safely and securely - through the WebATM
system."

There's a rather critical off-line step:

"Your anonymous pre-paid WebATM WebCard will soon be available at retail
stores in denominations of $10, $20, $50 and $100 and can be recharged if you
want - just like pre-paid calling cards!"

It's nice to see them pitching anonymity, though.

-Lewis	"You're always disappointed, nothing seems to keep you high -- drive
	your bargains, push your papers, win your medals, fuck your strangers;
	don't it leave you on the empty side ?"  (Joni Mitchell, 1972)

Thread