1996-02-03 - Re: PGP “official” logo?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 75d9923f2f963fab468456c1554415ff65bc1a38db05273e65817c3fcc40a004
Message ID: <ad37d3601a021004660a@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 08:36:51 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 08:36:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP "official" logo?

At 9:37 PM 2/2/96, jf_avon@citenet.net (Jean-Francois Avon (JFA
Technologies, QC, wrote:

>Me too...
>
>Some ideas:
>
> - ask Phil Z. if he ever devised a PGP logo.
> - a PGP logo design contest (the prize would be eternal glory
>      and gratitude from all CPunks)
>     In this latter case, the winner might be decided by:
>          - a jury (presided by Phil Z. ?)
>          - a vote of CPunks

I realize that Phil Z. is an "icon" to many people, but icons sometimes are
overrated. In this context, I mean symbolic icons, or logos, e.g., little
pictures.

Why is an icon or logo preferable to "Begin PGP signed..."? The little
rose, or chevrons, or escutcheons, or whatever, then have to be explained
to people. "PGP" is actually its own best logo.

(There is also the important point that most uses of PGP are in
primarily-ASCII settings, in e-mail. Yes, I know that MIME and whatnot can
support graphics, but such uses are rare. Look at this mailing list, and
Usenet, for examples of how most messages are composed. I routinely delete
all messages that have "attachments converted" to them, and others have
told me they do the same thing.)

Logos and signs typically are useful to attract customers from afar, as
with roadside signs, or to establish consumer preference. In the case of
PGP, neither situation seems especially germane.

Finally, the idea of a "contest" and a "vote" comes up once again. Being an
anarchy, no one is stopping anyone from attaching logos to their articles.
But I can't imagine a "vote of CPunks."

--Tim

Boycott espionage-enabled software!