1996-02-21 - Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Header Data

From: Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 78d288603487bc66e555cea00346e284bbcecfc6c137bce17caf0ffd0a272db8
Message ID: <199602210545.AAA10828@bb.hks.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 21:48:38 PST

Raw message

From: Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 21:48:38 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

IPG Sales wrote:

[Notice "Sales" wrote this...]
> We are not currently revealing all the details of our system because of
> patents in process, and other relat6ed matters. We are offering the

Do you know what "patent pending" means?

> software. You should be able to readily decompile it and determine the
> algorithms used andf how they are used to generate random number sequences

If you're so concerned about secrecy and patents, why encourage anyone
to reverse engineer it?  If it's as secure as you say (and it's not)
and yet unpatented, then you sure as hell don't want anyone reverse
engineering it... you don't even want to publish the compiled binary
either (if that were true).

[..]
> If you are aware of encrtypting technology, you recognize that hardware
> prime number cycle wheels for the basis of some of the most secured
> hardware systems employed for encryption. We simply expand that

You mean like Enigma machines? (chuckle)

> Thus we can eliminate the need to have the length of the OTP to be equal
> to the length of the file - if you do not belive that it works, try it
> and see - it takes inly a few hours to set such a trial up. We generated

OTP = One Time Pad
      ^^^
Used once. Not repeated. Equals the size of the file. Completely
erased from the cosmos after decryption and never seen again. Anything
else just isn't a one time pad.

> over 790 gigabytes of charcaters, on multiple backups, and tested. Our
> standard deviations, chi squares, Delta ICs for bits, characters, sets,
> and the entire set were random. The sets are random, and you can take
> that to the bank.

Gee. It sure looks random. Must be secure. [Sarcarm mode off]

> Someone, will decompile it and discover that it is truly random, at least
> from the practical usage basis. But we need that time to file patents,
> cvopyrights and the like.

Truly random? If it's based on an algorithm and not an unpredictable
source of external randomness, it just ain't random.

If it's fed the same seed, will it produce the same output? If so,
'taint random. Don't call it that. Just don't.

> The IPG system solves the key management problem and produces a truly

Oh really? And how does it do that? ...

[..]
> "Unless we know, we do not experience by talking," Plato

Interesting that you quote Plato, who believed in such fairy tales
as essential orbs of "truth", "beauty", etc. floating around in
some neuminal hyperspace.  Faith was rather important, and the western
religions were really damn peachy about it.

Oh, I get it... OTP stands for Onto-Theological Platonism. Philisophical
snake oil...
- ---
signature and forwarded.]

Thread