1996-02-17 - Re: True random numbers

Header Data

From: maruishi@netcom.com
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 7aa95ef84cfe22ec0e09fb98ff9e05f938859e3a669cde0ad95b9075a0ed7345
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9602171442.A24343-0100000@netcom15>
Reply To: <ad4b827f0e0210047032@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-17 22:36:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 06:36:46 +0800

Raw message

From: maruishi@netcom.com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 06:36:46 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: True random numbers

I think you are probably right when you say that it is not truely random.
I don't think I thought about it very much, but this method does produce
a kind of a pseudo random numbers.
    But I think it would be really hard to simulate this method because
if you send data to a network way out there in Europe then all the
machines in between can cause the tranmission to slow down or spend up
depending on the type of lines nad CPU load etc...
    There are so many variables that although this may not "random", it
"appears" to have a good engough entropy and I don't think there is a
cycle or period, at least none that I can notice.

maruishi@netcom.com

Thread