1996-02-01 - Comision del EC contra el racismo en la red (Re: CRAX Mix Rax)

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81f9921e12d73f303d397c2c396460836c5af45298fc72d6ba431f727a5a5bcf
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.960131214156.6105H-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199602010519.GAA19612@utopia.hacktic.nl>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-01 21:43:39 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 05:43:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 05:43:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Comision del EC contra el racismo en la red (Re: CRAX Mix Rax)

Dude, while these subject lines are very quaint, given the level of
traffic, I would really appreciate more descriptive subject headings. You
may use any official UN language that can be written in 8-bit characters.

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Anonymous wrote:

> European Commission Moves To Stamp Out Racism On Internet
>
> Burssels, 31 Jan 1996 -- The European Commission (EC) has
> formed a pan-European group to "encourage the mixing of
> people of different cultures" from both inside and
> outside Europe.

I knew Euro-Disneyland was going to catch on some time.

> According to EC officials, the first task of the
> Consultative Commission on Racism and Xenophobia (CRAX),

Geez, so that wasn't a joke.

> as it is called, will be to investigate and, using legal
> means, stamp out the current wave of racism on the
> Internet.

OK, then maybe it is a joke.

> In a prepared statement, CRAX said that it hopes that the
> EC "will take all needed measures to prevent the Internet
> from becoming a vehicle for the incitement of racist
> hatred."

Prevent? How about "Band-Aid?"

Recall that in many cases, Band-Aids actually promote infection by
providing a dark, humid place for growth.

> As reported previously, the "Thule Network" first came
> to the public's attention when the January, 1994, issue
> of Chip magazine (a popular computer monthly in Germany)
> claimed to have unearthed eight Thule BBSs.
>
> According to Chip magazine at the time, "The (Thule)
> network distributes information on demonstrations and
> invitations to meetings, addresses for contacting parties
> and groups, and it reviews and offers books and
> magazines. One of the mail-boxes contained instructions
> for producing military explosives and letter bombs. A
> great deal of space is taken up by 'political
> discussions' among the users."

Um, OK. So force these people above ground, and they will need to
restrict their activities to political discussions.

> Thule is Norse or Viking terminology for "top of the
> world." The Thule Network's name actually derives from
> the small, elitist 1920s movement which was considered to
> be the Nazi vanguard.

Read: a bunch of stupid thugs who don't want to be seen in daylight.

> Thule movement leaders included
> Rudolf Hess. Some BBSs on the Thule network have names
> such as "Wolf Box" and "Resistance," while many Internet
> messages are signed by people calling themselves "The
> Wolf," among other names.

What's the matter? Their mothers didn't like them or something? Just try
holding a debate with a person with a handle like that. The audience
would just crack up.

-rich

Thread