1996-02-22 - Re: IBM Breakthrough?

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8ae618a69bf4c210690c0905a350f774db709987c9b9d74b04a01052f42a0532
Message ID: <199602221351.IAA14781@pipe2.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:11:52 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:11:52 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: IBM Breakthrough?

Responding to msg by mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos) on Wed, 21 Feb
 9:3  PM

>Those wishing to read IBM's explanation of this new
>technology  may browse their Web page on Quantum
>Teleportation at...
>
>http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/

   Thanks much for your precis and the IBM pointer.

   IBM's ad seems inspired by Clarke's "Any sufficiently
   advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

   The teleportation site hiply introduces the topic with
   its science fiction ancestry.  The site even has a link to
   the "goulash" featured in the ad, so the tease is PR for
   IBM's magical research explorations.

   It was illuminating to read the tie of teleportation to
   quantum research -- cryptograpy, communication and who
   knows what else burbling in that wizard Watson lab.

   Because my Lynx could not get into IBM's "quantum
   cryptography," perhaps Blue is onto some Lotus-like
   Q-Crypto soon to be teased in ads for cosmos-wide Net
   security or surveillance-proof chips and goulash.

Thread