1996-02-18 - Re: A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Message Hash: 8d5997b60bf6ad11c2c26c0054c8fdf64303fc67ac4b04c10325969a3d140b07
Message ID: <199602182116.NAA21283@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 05:49:48 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 05:49:48 +0800
Subject: Re: A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

At  2:56 PM 2/18/96 -0500, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>At 06:13 AM 2/16/96 -0500, lmccarth@cs.umass.edu wrote:
>>I'd be interested to see the documentation of the number of peasants in
>>the U.S. (or elsewhere) who have done anything like this. Documentation of
>>the number of peasants who could manage the technical details would also
>>be interesting.
>
>Actually, it only takes a million or so out of the world population to make
>restrictions impossible.  That will certainly be achievable. ...

My wife attended the World Women's Conference in Hai Rou, China (as staff
supporting their Apple computers).  She reports that the "killer
application" demonstrated there was email.  Women in extreemly poor
countries of the world were interested in communicating with each other
about solving local problems (e.g. Clean water supplies).

The demand is there.  These people are not stupid.  They can learn.  I
expect to see the village email computer build on "obsolete" donated
machines start to become a force in the next century, the same way the
village TV and cassette player have played a role in the last decade.

Regards - Bill

Thread