1996-02-01 - Re: Denning’s misleading statements

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: jonl@well.com
Message Hash: 8e0e3e6cd5f18b68acde78610174e927d8c32ae9f7fffba6e902340ee554dd98
Message ID: <199602010308.WAA27249@pipe2.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:34:52 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:34:52 +0800
To: jonl@well.com
Subject: Re: Denning's misleading statements

Responding to msg by jonl@well.com (Jon Lebkowsky) on Wed, 31
Jan  6:34 PM

>Definitely! I wonder who we could get from the FBI??

   Try for Al Bayse, formerly assistant director of the FBI's
   Technical Services Division and its long-time senior
   techonology expert. Here's a quote from David Burnham's new
   book, "Above the Law:"

      Al Bayse, whom FBI documents suggest has been involved
      in the Clipper since its inception, was ecstatic about
      its inception. Shortly before the White House announced
      the project to reporters, he telephoned the three
      leading security experts in the academic world --
      Dorothy Denning of Georgetown University, Lance Hoffman
      of George Washington University and Peter Neumann of SRI
      International -- and informed them that the FBI's
      problem had been solved. (p. 150)

   Burnham claims that because Bayse shaped and directed the
   FBI's investigative technologies from the late 1970s to the
   mid-1990s he "may well be the nation's single most
   influential law enforcement official since J. Edgar
   Hoover." (p. 136)

Thread