1996-02-18 - Re: Science News - article on Quantum Crypto

Header Data

From: Sherry Mayo <scmayo@rsc.anu.edu.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 91b84ae326e9a89fa93a5fd008fae0e6b76ded8f259cfc951a898a8181871b73
Message ID: <9602182222.AA17134@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:50:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Sherry Mayo <scmayo@rsc.anu.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:50:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Science News - article on Quantum Crypto

> Bob writes:
>
> > Does anyone know if the new in-line optical amplifiers (not switches!) have
> > any effect on quantum crypto messages?
>
> Yes, any active devices in your communications path would be unable to
> function without making some kind of classical measurement on the
> photons involved (e.g. measuring phase relative to a definite test
> angle, if phase is what's being modulated), thereby collapsing the
> wavefunction and spoiling any special properties afforded by being
> able to send photons down the line without "looking at them."  Optical
> repeaters have to pass your signal through an intermediate electronic
> stage anyway, since we have no purely optical valve/transistor
> equivalents (bosons don't interact with each other at all).

I am not sure this is correct. In-line optical amplifiers work by
stimulated emission like a laser rod. There is no intermediate
electronic stage. The amplifier is a section of fibre that is doped
with a rare earth element. The rare earth atoms are boosted into a metastable
high energy state using a power source around the fibre. Passing signals
(photons) stimulate the decays of the metastable states releasing more
photons and boosting the signal. I am not sure what the effect of this on the
polarisation characteristics of the signal is but my *hunch* is that the
polarisation characteristics would be preserved in the amplified signal.

Sherry

ps Any laser physicists in the house?

Thread