1996-02-14 - Re: CyberAngels

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9238fb7cde53b016dfd759b7e500fed9e354480fa7b229a05e9550b0e260acfb
Message ID: <199602140254.VAA14288@pipe4.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Feb 96 18:55:28 PST

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 96 18:55:28 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CyberAngels

On Feb 12, 1996 23:23:59, 'ethridge@Onramp.NET (Allen B. Ethridge)' wrote:

>The Guardian Angels have decided to enter cyberspace and make it safe for
>us all.  They have a FAQ on the web - http://www.safesurf.com/cyberangels/

>.  How is this relevant to cypherpunks?  From their FAQ:
>

>"9) What kinds of changes would the Guardian Angels / CyberAngels like to
see?

>a) We would like to see an improvement in User identification. User ID is
>impossible to verify or trace back. The very anonymity of Users is itself
>causing an increase in rudeness, sexual abuse, flaming, and crimes like
>pedophile activity. We the Net Users must take responsibility for the
>problem ourselves. One of our demands is for more accountable User IDs on
>the Net. When people are anonymous they are also free to be criminals. In
>riot you see rioters wearing masks to disguise their true identity. The
>same thing is happening online. We would like to see User ID much more
>thoroughly checked by Internet Service Providers."

See:

_Computer underground Digest_, "CyberAngels in Cyberspace," #8.04, 01/13/96

          (my original piece on the CyberAngels)
_Computer underground Digest_, "CYBERANGELS," #8.06, 01/21/96
          (the CyberAnels official response)
_Computer underground Digest_.  [ENTIRE ISSUE]. #8.13, 02/06/96
          (the readership responds)

CuD is available as a Usenet newsgroup: comp.society.cu-digest

Also, I have been corresponding with folks at _Wired_ who are picking up
the story, for their March issue I believe.

On Feb 13, 1996 00:46:05, 'joseph@genome.wi.mit.edu (Joseph
Sokol-Margolis)' wrote:

>not sure if this is the right place.
>I agree with allen, about the issues of 'nym. But looking at other aspects

>of these cyberangels I'm unsure how to feel. On one hand they seem
resonable,
>protecting only the children. ...

The CyberAngels want to do *far* more than "protect only children."

--tallpaul

Thread