1996-02-03 - Re: PGP “official” logo? (a.k.a. the Return of the Logo Wars)

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: jf_avon@citenet.net (Jean-Francois Avon (JFA Technologies, QC, Canada))
Message Hash: 951f62cd016fa0179262516acf88d3101c034e9b73633bdba228faca6cd7f1c6
Message ID: <9602022227.AA01627@ch1d157nwk>
Reply To: <9602022143.AA16479@cti02.citenet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-03 00:21:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 08:21:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 08:21:27 +0800
To: jf_avon@citenet.net (Jean-Francois Avon (JFA Technologies, QC, Canada))
Subject: Re: PGP "official" logo? (a.k.a. the Return of the Logo Wars)

JF Avon (jf_avon@citenet.net), in a fit of creativity, writes:
> Some ideas:
>
>  - ask Phil Z. if he ever devised a PGP logo.
>  - a PGP logo design contest (the prize would be eternal glory
>       and gratitude from all CPunks)
>      In this latter case, the winner might be decided by:
>           - a jury (presided by Phil Z. ?)
>           - a vote of CPunks

If you consult the archives you will find the decayed remains of many
cypherpunks whose blood was shed in the "Logo Wars" of years past.

Instead of having another logo war on the mailing list and having to shout
over the din of accounts and subjects hitting the bottom of subscriber's kill
files, I'll sum it up for you:  If you have a cool logo, put it on your own web
pages (or get someone to put it on theirs).  Then post the URL on the mailing
list.  If others like it they will use it.  Welcome to anarchy.

Forget contests (unless you want to pony up the prizes and the judges), forget
voting, forget juries presided by PRZ (he has more important things to do...),
forget trying to get a consensus on the mailing list...  Still, if you feel
you must select a logo in public, set up your own mailing list for discussing
the logo...

> I think it would not do any good if everybody used their own logo.

I doubt that there will be a large number of logos produced (if any...).  If
one person comes up with a logo that is obviously better than all the rest then
people will use it.  If nobody puts logos on their pages then it probably
wasn't meant to be.

andrew

Thread