1996-02-19 - Anonymous remailers are a virus spreading online! (Replies)

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 956a3dacb04237ebedffc890b4bf2a8c907436bdb4959bd66b6f556b257a2355
Message ID: <Ul9zb2G00YUtAuHYoO@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199602171622.KAA02514@blatz.cs.uwm.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-19 04:52:09 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:52:09 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:52:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Anonymous remailers are a virus spreading online! (Replies)

Forwarded from Computer Privacy Digest. These messages are in reply to
the Strassmann/Marlow paper archived at:
     http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=1159

-Declan

From: "Prof. L. P. Levine" <levine@blatz.cs.uwm.edu>
Date: 15 Feb 1996 16:22:41 -0600 (CST)

My most serious question about anonymous remailers is this:  How can we
be sure that the operator of such a remailer is not a federal or other
governmental agent?  That person is trusted with our privacy and has
all the data needed to identify a user.

If I were the Feds I would already have set up such a "sting"
operation, the temptation is just too great.

--
Leonard P. Levine               e-mail levine@cs.uwm.edu
Professor, Computer Science        Office 1-414-229-5170

------------------------------

 ---------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
Leonard P. Levine                 | Moderator of:     Computer Privacy Digest
Professor of Computer Science     |                  and comp.society.privacy
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee | Post:                comp-privacy@uwm.edu
Box 784, Milwaukee WI 53201       | Information: comp-privacy-request@uwm.edu
                                  | Gopher:                 gopher.cs.uwm.edu
levine@cs.uwm.edu                 | Web:           gopher://gopher.cs.uwm.edu

End of Computer Privacy Digest V8 #015

Thread