1996-02-20 - Re: Optical repeaters

Header Data

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
To: acg@mandrake.cen.ufl.edu
Message Hash: 9eb355a9fbecd134f1a55f81225be04e42a0963b1877dad47ba6f47ca70ece0a
Message ID: <9602200124.AA09857@spirit.aud.alcatel.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 11:46:40 +0800

Raw message

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 11:46:40 +0800
To: acg@mandrake.cen.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Optical repeaters

> > > Optical
> > > repeaters have to pass your signal through an intermediate electronic
> > > stage anyway, since we have no purely optical valve/transistor
> > > equivalents (bosons don't interact with each other at all).
>
> Dave Emery responds:
> > 	This is not true.   There is now a whole technology of optical
> > amplifiers for fiber communications systems that used Ettrium doped
> > fibers pumped with strong light from a laser at a slightly shorter
> > wavelength. These fiber optical amplifiers have gains in the order of
> > 10-12 db in a section of special doped fiber only about 10 feet long.
>
> You're right, I do remember reading about these somewhere... didn't
> realize they were already in use.

Optical amplifiers -  they are in use all right.  Want to buy one?
My employer sells them.  (get out a big checkbook though -
gotta cover my salary ;-)

> Even so, I still don't think such a repeater would pass quantum-crypto
> signals, excepting any photons that happened to just "leak" directly
> through.  Your useful quantum state information resides in the
> individual photons originally sent, and any even the optical repeaters
> you describe achieve gain by by gating in *more* photons under the
> incoming signal's control.  In so doing it will collapse the
> wavefunctions of these incoming photons.
>
> Not to say repeaters on the line aren't possible, but they'll have to
> decode your data using a copy of the "secret" key, then re-encode for
> transmission... so this will be a potential break-in point and need
> good physical security.

This is essentially true for the purpose of quantum-crypto.
The cascade of phontons triggered from the incoming photons would
mask most of your original phontons - necesitating a secure "repeater".

> > 	The current generation of undersea cables from the US to Europe
> > use these amplifiers instead of the more traditional regenerating
> > repeaters that convert the light to electronic signals, reclock the data
> > stream and convert it back to light with another laser diode.   There is
> > no conversion from light to digital electronic signals all the way from
> > Rhode Island to England - the same light pulses that go into the fiber
> > on one side of the Atlantic come out on the other end without ever
> > having been converted to electronic form in between.
>
> You said power for the amps comes from a high-intensity,
> shorter-wavelength beam... can this be superimposed on the original
> signal at the point of origin, as with in-line coax-cable amplifiers?

Power for the amps must be electrical.  So, a seperate power cable must
be run seperate with the optical-fiber.  This normally isn't a problem
since the casing/etc of the fibers has lots of metal for protection anyways.

> > 	 These amplfiers have enourmous bandwidth, and can be used to
> > amplify several slightly different wavelengths of light allowing
> > wavelength division multiplexing of multiple streams of light flashes of
> > slightly different "colors" (all the current technology works at around
> > 1500 nm which is well into the infrared).   This can expand the capacity
> > of a single fiber to four to six times the 5 Gb/sec that is the current
> > state of the art.
>
> Nice... :)

Very nice! ;-)  Flouride based amplifiers should be able to handle up
to 16 channels.  Using state of the art time-multiplex stuff of 10 Gb/sec
gives a total throughput of 160 Gb/Sec.... smoking!

Of course the parts for all of this will set you pack a sizeable
chunk of change.

If you want to see some further reading about optical amplifiers
as applied in a telephone network - find a copy of "Telephony"
a trade rag.  There is an article by John Moss and ??? here at Alcatel
that explains stuff in high level terms.  (little to no physics stuff)

Dan

Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
droelke@aud.alcatel.com                             Richardson, TX

Thread