1996-02-19 - Re: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

Header Data

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a038f9318fc545926e36507bef206457a2b79f37495f80a22deafccf7d50da2a
Message ID: <199602192044.OAA28265@proust.suba.com>
Reply To: <199602191921.OAA07056@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-19 21:51:05 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 05:51:05 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 05:51:05 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

> However, again, I don't think it will do them much good, especially
> since forcing people to deploy strong cryptography everywhere isn't
> in their best interests. They could try only doing the AH part of the
> protocol, of course, but even then, using forged, stolen, or otherwise
> ingenuine credentials isn't that hard. Crypto isn't a panacea, and if
> you can't trust both endpoints its hard to trust the crypto itself...

It seems to me that the actual result of the Chineese experiment in net
censorship will probably be something in between what the Communist
government is hoping for and what some hard line crypto anarchists are
predicting.  Nets and good crypto tools aren't going to make it possible
for everyone in China with a pc to discuss any subject without fear of
government reprisal, but the new technology will almost certainly result
in a significant loss of control for the state.

Censorship will persist in China, but evading it will be easier and safer
than it is now.  Nets being what they are, it will be easier for people to
organize, and discussions and debates will probably be more productive
than they are now.  The pressures of crypto anarchy might not be strong
enough to liberate China overnight, but they will exert a powerful and
steady force towards liberalization.  Once Chineese society has coexisted
with a vibrant black information market for a decade or two, making
things legal will probably seem sensible to most people -- no one will
expect the sky to fall if people are allowed to speak their minds.

Thread