1996-02-08 - Re: Assassination Politics–isn’t it gambling?

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: a1b549366843cb284f6da1cff6025e4c8edfd58a1134302e40cc9545d15ca33a
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960208100255.28144A-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <m0tkPbC-00093KC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-08 15:13:44 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 23:13:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 23:13:44 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Assassination Politics--isn't it gambling?

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, jim bell wrote:

> At 06:00 PM 2/6/96 PST, banelaw@med.com wrote:
> >Jim: as to "Assassination Politics."  Isn't the structure you describe
> >gambling?  Placing money on a prediction, with the correct predictor
> >winning?
>
> I guess that depends on the laws, doesn't it? <G>   Seriously, though, since
> all the participants are anonymous, and it can all be done from overseas...
>
> Somehow, though, I think politicians will take little solace from knowing
> that they are protected from death only by laws against gambling.

Yeah, those silly homicide laws don't apply if there is a bet on the line.

> > And if so, isn't it illegal if done over the wires, i.e., federal
> >commerce?  I'm not looking for a way to declare your scheme illegal, I'm
> >just pointing out that there are other angles, especially if done over the
> >wires.
>
> I'd sure like to read a serious legal analysis of all this.  Maybe all the
> lawyers are too terrified to respond.

Wire fraud would be the least of your worries.  Try conspiracy to commit
murder.

> jimbell@pacifier.com
>
> Klaatu Burada Nikto
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I know I should know it, but can't place it.  Help
anybody?

EBD

Thread