1996-02-08 - COPYRIGHT: Skeleton Bill

Header Data

From: “James M. Cobb” <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a87fe7ae24e767237b14d3ddd6132330eed2de685be5c5143806ec8dc741eb16
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960208141726.3621C-100000@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 03:57:41 +0800

Raw message

From: "James M. Cobb" <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 03:57:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: COPYRIGHT: Skeleton Bill

  Friend,

  02 08 96 Associated Press newsstory datelined Washington, headlined

                 COPYRIGHT VIOLATORS SHOULD FACE
                       CRIMINAL PENALTIES

  reports:

     The House Judiciary Committee's panel on courts and intellectual
     property is considering legislation...to clarify copyright law for
     electronic information.

  Panel = subcommittee.  Its chairman is Carlos Moorhead, R-CA.  He says

                the legislation [is] a "skeleton bill"

  which

        "We want to make sure we get...into law this session."

  The skeleton of the skeleton law = "recommendations by the Clinton ad-
  ministration."

  Moorehead also says:

     " We don't want to put so much meat on the skeleton that it dies of
     obesity."

  Testifying before the subcommitte were

     the Motion Picture Association of America's Valenti and

     Broadcast Music Inc's Preston

  who "agreed that the legislation should be passed quickly."

  Preston and Valenti

     rejected a proposal by Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., to exempt on-line
     service providers from copyright infringement liability....

  So there goes cheap access to the 'Net.

  That's what

     "We don't want to put so much meat on the skeleton that it dies of
     obesity"

                                 MEANS!

  Cordially,

  Jim

  NOTE.  The newsstory's www.nando.net online filename is:

                             info7_24355.html

         This critical essay was composed 02 08 96.

Thread