1996-02-06 - RE: Sometimes ya just gotta nuke em

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
To: “A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security” <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Message Hash: acc6f383355fee3e87a9501e8c570288ddc4e7e75750ede8ec5ecca55c81d25a
Message ID: <v02140b04ad3b2b30275d@[165.254.158.237]>
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 08:08:32 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 08:08:32 +0800
To: "A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security" <PADGETT@hobbes.orl.mmc.com>
Subject: RE: Sometimes ya just gotta nuke em

At 8:33 2/3/96, "A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security"
<PADGETT@hobbe wrote:

>Tim rote:
>>At 4:12 AM 2/3/96, Rich Graves wrote:
>>>Who holds up the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as great victories
>>>against tyranny?
>>Since you ask, I do.
>
>And the biggest secret of the war was that "Fat Man" was the *last* A-bomb
>we had or could build for about a year (had taken several *years* to
>separate enough fissionable material for the three via two entirely
>different processes).
>
>To me this is the great strength of the USA: given a theoretical problem, we
>will develop a hundred different solutions, try them all in parallel, and at
>least one will work.

I agree - Not only were there two different separation methods but the two
bombs dropped on Japan were of different designs (I think that the
Hiroshima bomb was the same design as the land test version and the
Nagasaki one was the untested design [so that if used, there would have
been a tested design for the first drop]).

Thread