1996-02-29 - Re: PGP backdoor? (No, I’m not paranoid.)

Header Data

From: jf_avon@citenet.net (Jean-Francois Avon (JFA Technologies, QC, Canada))
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ae96be85da0af66f3be5c7f4d4feb79b14be1307eb86434bdf030326ad986ce2
Message ID: <9602282303.AA01822@cti02.citenet.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:16:31 +0800

Raw message

From: jf_avon@citenet.net (Jean-Francois Avon (JFA Technologies, QC, Canada))
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:16:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP backdoor? (No, I'm not paranoid.)

perry@piermont.com wrote:

>Mark Bainter writes:
<snip>
>> However, this guy tells me
>> that he met Phil at defcon and phil told him that he co-operated with
>> the government and gave them information that would enable them to crack
>> key's for versions later than 2.3.   I don't know whether to believe him
>> or not,

>Your informant is taking extremely good drugs. You should find out who
>his connection is should you want to get any.
>
>Perry

Dear Perry,

many peoples hear many things.  The difficult part is to figure out what
is the validity of what ones hears.  I personnally heard a things or two,
even if I am not involved in any way in the trade of crypto.  I heard them
through outside channels, completely independently from any crypto-activist, wether pro or con (CPunks et al or Govt).  Theses sources are of utmost
qualifications.  Wether or not there is a "vast conspiracy" either to make
us believe that, for an example, PGP *is* or *is not* crackable we *do not*
know.  Every side have vested interests.   Many opinions that PGP is secure
rest on *actual* evaluation of our computing capabilities, actual or
forecasted.  And experts are *very often* wrong.  Have a look at history
of sciences... You'll realize that most accomplishments were held as
impossible even shortly before they were discovered/created.  Such is the
history of intra-abdominal surgery, of space flight and of many other
knowledge and/or technology.

In most instances of life, it is much wiser to realize that *we do not know*
and accepting ignorance as such rather than adopting the first tempting
rationalization that comes to mind.  Because in the former case, you still
have the possibility to enhance life by learning, while in the second, you
can only hope that you did not adopt a wrong belief that will eventually
cost you dearly.

Remember, when an ostrich puts it's head in the sand, which part of it's
anatomy it is showing to the world...

So, why waste bandwith with a post that apparently mainly seems to be aimed
at dismissing somebody but brings *absolutely no* new knowledge to
the discussion?  Please, next time, post privately.

Funny jokes are, IMHO,  welcome because they have some life-enhancing value.

So please, at least be funny...

Your post makes me wonder for what terribly conspiring organisation
are you working for...

JFA
The collectivists be DAMNED!
**** OLD KEY: DO NOT USE ANYMORE UNLESS FOR VERIFYING SIGNATURES ****

1024 bits Key ID:57214AED 1995/10/04 Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Key fingerprint =  84 96 76 AE EB 7C AB 15  88 47 87 B0 18 31 74 9F

Thread