1996-02-01 - Call for Papers

Header Data

From: winn@Infowar.Com
To: ajenks@technews.com
Message Hash: b4279baa3b263d01a53bca8caae12a6e0901f874022d38acf9ad7c8cade3ec22
Message ID: <199602010308.WAA11676@mailhost.IntNet.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:35:11 +0800

Raw message

From: winn@Infowar.Com
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:35:11 +0800
To: ajenks@technews.com
Subject: Call for Papers

January 31, 1996

                  Attention: Information Warriors:

                ***** CALL FOR PAPERS *****

        Please feel free to distribute this widely.

I first want to thank the thousands of people who have been so incredibly
supportive of my work over the last several years, and who have helped the
public debate on Information Warfare gain and sustain the momentum we have all
created.

As a result of the continued interest in the subject, my publisher has asked if
I would create a 2nd. Edition with substantial updates to the original
"Information Warfare" which was published in 1994. I told them that the new
revised edition should include much of the thinking that has evolved on the
topic in the last couple of years. Believe it or not, they agreed!

So, I am asking (begging? :-)  for a couple of things.

	1. We want to include a comprehensive Appendix "D" to include references
and bibliographic information for those already in and for those entering the
field. We would greatly appreciate any and all types of references that you feel
will be useful for students of Infowar today and in the future. The kinds of
material we hope to include are:
		- Web sites, mailing lists, usenet, etc.
		- Monographs and their source
		- Published papers and their source
		- Books with publisher, author, date, ISDN (oops, ISBN) price
and a one sentence commentary.
		- Global resources on the subject.
		- Courses (civilian, military, etc.)
		- Organizations, private and gov't.

We will also add a credit/acknowledgments page for all of the Information
Warriors who have assisted in this effort. Please supply name, title (or rank)
contact info, and affiliation as you want it to appear in the book. (If you
don't want your name or affiliation to appear, please so indicate and we will
honor your request. (Honest . . . .)

Ideally, we will need to have a hard copy of the materials that we reference.

PLEASE RESPOND TO BETTY@INFOWAR.COM

	2. In order to portray the current thinking of Infowar from its many
facets, I am also looking for short commentaries on your particular take on
Infowar - and heavens knows there are so many  . . . perhaps googols!

I would like to include a large number of 500-800 word overviews, or executive
summaries of topics of interest to you, comments on my work, or perhaps on the
efforts that you or your org are putting into the field. I am hoping to find a
balance between the civilian viewpoints and military and international ones so
that students and readers can see just how much work in occurring in the field.
Organizations like AFIWC and DISA (and so on) are invited to submit a similar
overview of their efforts in addition to individual submissions.

It is not necessary to agree with me (that would be heresy in some cases :-))
but let's be civil about it, OK? The purpose is to get the neurons vibrating and
moving the field forward.

If you take issue with, or relate to specific items/topics/comments in
"Information Warfare" please note page number so we can tie it all together
thematically. There will be suffixes to each chapter, and I am hoping that many
of the responses will comment on or add to each of the chapters.

As for credit, we will list your name, contact info, affiliation etc., along
with your particular contribution. With each submission, please just say
something like, "I hereby give Winn Schwartau, Interpact, Inc., and Thunders
Mouth Press non-exclusive permission to use this work." That keeps the publisher
happy and still lets you own your own words. If it's a personal opinion, and not
an official one of your organization, a simple disclaimer like, "these are the
opinions of the author, and not necessarily those of my organization." We will
provide a general suffix disclaimer to that effect anyway. If it is the official
view of your org, then please indicate so clearly, so we may make an accurate
distinction.

If we decide to edit your piece substantively, we will run it back to you for
approval before printing. All we will ask is a timely return.

To get your brain thinking on the kinds of topics I am looking for:

	- Civilian Defense
	- "This is an act of War"
	- "This is not an act of War"
	- Infowar as an alternative to conventional conflict.
	- Non-lethal conventional warfare
	- Enhancing military efficiency with Infowar
	- PsyOps as Infowar
	- Hackers: A National Resource

Please consider all three Classes of Infowar when deciding what you want to say.
Since you only have 500-800 words to say it, I suggest that it be clear, concise
and to the point.

Controversy is good. But just as good is if your comments are thought provoking
and stimulate additional discussion about your subject. For each contribution we
accept, (and there will be a lot we will!) we will provide a free copy of the
new revised "Information Warfare: Revised Edition" (or whatever they decide to
call it.)

PLEASE RESPOND TO:  BETTY@INFOWAR.COM

		3. We have already received a large number of short "pull
quotes" of one or two sentences for the cover and inside covers where we give
full attribution. If anyone is so inclined, we are looking for a few more that
comment on the existing works.

PLEASE RESPOND TO BETTY@INFOWAR.COM

		4. Robert Steele at ceo@oss.net has agreed to help me pull
together a "Who's Who" of Information Warfare. Please supply names, contact
information and brief biographies to him at CEO@OSS.NET.

Again, I want to thank everyone out there for their support, and I look forward
to seeing what everyone has to say. Please send your input to

BETTY@INFOWAR.COM no later than February 29, 1996.

Feel free to distribute this widely and/or post as you see fit.

Winn Schwartau

Peace
Winn

		        Winn Schwartau - Interpact, Inc.