1996-02-15 - Re: Linux on the Mac

Header Data

From: “Christopher J. Shaulis” <cjs@netcom.com>
To: fdr@osf.org (Franklin Reynolds)
Message Hash: be8d5fb6f39006e0a9fabe293321ff25bd1cc2a9b261a7da77ca21cef2a191be
Message ID: <199602151207.HAA01960@localhost.cjs.net>
Reply To: <199602142221.RAA11704@postman.osf.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-15 17:42:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 01:42:38 +0800

Raw message

From: "Christopher J. Shaulis" <cjs@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 01:42:38 +0800
To: fdr@osf.org (Franklin Reynolds)
Subject: Re: Linux on the Mac

> >> In the latest PowerPC news it is reported that OSF is porting Linux
> >> to the Mac with the support of Apple.  Apple has a web site -
> >> www.mklinux.apple.com that discusses this and has a link to the OSF
> >> site.  In my book, this is a GoodThing(tm).  Of course, being a huge
> >> fan of both the Mac and unix might put me in the minority ;-)
> >
> >They aren't *really* porting Linux to powermac. They're throwing a
> >little bit of paint on OSF/1 and hiding some stuff in libc.
> >
> >Looks to me like they are basicly trying to ca$h in on the Linux name
> >and reputation without contributing anything to the cause.
> *Sigh*
>
> OSF ported Linux to our microkernel which is derived from Mach 3.0
> from CMU. And we have ported our kernel and the Linux server to

Mach != Linux. When people use use this thing, they will *not* be
using Linux in any way shape of form. The drivers and such that you
develop will be completely worthless to Linux proper without someone
spending months to port them, and advances in Linux such as the new
page cache or the upcoming revision of ext2fs may not show themselves
on your "linux" for an equal period of time.

This comes back to my belief that you folks are just trying to cash in
on Linux's name and reputation without contributing something directly
to the cause. Why didn;t you just call it it "OSF/1 for PowerMac" and
include an ext2fs server? Hindsight? Why don't you just port Linux
proper to PowerMac?

(and how did this get on cypherpunks?)

Christopher

Thread