1996-02-15 - (cpx) secure web page ideas

Header Data

From: “John Hemming - CEO MarketNet” <johnhemming@mkn.co.uk>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: be8f96673adc2a9e3e7badc22927725674155ca77a6974a1fc71ee78c85a17e4
Message ID: <1996-Feb15-090001.2>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 22:21:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "John Hemming - CEO MarketNet"  <johnhemming@mkn.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 22:21:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (cpx) secure web page ideas

>From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>

>For those people who have Netscape / an SSL-enabled web-browser, wouldn't
>it be useful to have secure web pages that did the following:
>(2) A pgp-sending web page (type in key id into field, send message to
>    address given, encrypted)  This isn't a bad idea for the same reason that
>    (1) above is a much better idea.

>How hard would this be to implement? Would it be worth waiting until the PGP
>3.0 API is released?

I have been slogging away with my own SSL browser trying to make it
crash less frequently (it actually crashes more often than Netscape).

Before I started on the latest round of changes I had managed to PGP
enable the browser (using my own implementation of PGP) with two web
linked functions:

a)  In the mailto:  Link a PGPKEY="ABCDE" field contains the PGP
public key of the recipient the program then encrypts the mail before
sending it.

b)  In forms using mailto a similar function acheives the same.

I have almost certainly broken the PGP implementation through all the
work I have been doing on the code recently although I think I should be
able to sort this relatively soon.

In other words:

It has been done (ish) see
ftp://193.119.26.70/mktnet/pub/horse.zip

(It also covers 128bit SSL)

Thread