1996-02-08 - Re: Need a “warning” graphic of some kind for CDA

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bf6f00d5f555a6c86027809ed422d9de6619a53be956024adea99520e6cb048c
Message ID: <ad3ec6f00e02100450d5@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:34:26 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:34:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Need a "warning" graphic of some kind for CDA

About all the proposed symbols and logos and ribbons....

I realize I often come across as a naysayer against collective efforts to
design logos, arm patches, flags, and other such tribal insignias...(:-}).

Logos and symbols have their place. The "Big Brother Inside" logo is a good
joke.

But mainly I think that we underestimate the value of _words_. Instead of
some cutesy logo, such as a red rose being run over by the "Valdez," a logo
which many people would not understand and would not be interested in
looking up an explanation for, why not simply include a couple of English
sentances _describing_ why the page has been censored, why adult material
has been removed, etc.? (This is the norm today, and I'm glad of it. I
don't relish looking at a Web page filled with inscrutably clever icons and
logos.)

Graphical icons are great, and worked well until writing was invented.

--Tim May

Boycott espionage-enabled software!