1996-02-24 - Re: REM_ote

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: Alex Strasheim <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c0f27ec63e4ba9329f37136c09d1cdfcbe9b3f41459b8b0bdc69deba34921d5e
Message ID: <ad53b6f9010210048c41@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:13:31 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:13:31 +0800
To: Alex Strasheim <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: REM_ote

At 11:32 PM 2/23/96, Alex Strasheim wrote:
>> Marianne Mueller, Java security engineer, also said the chances of such
>> hacking occurring are "remote."
>
>This is the sort of bullshit that gets companies in trouble.  Netscape has
>a good record of responding to and fixing security problems.  Why should
>they feel the need to do spin control?  This borders on lying.

Might want to be careful calling Marianne a borderline liar. She's our host
for Cypherpunks meetings at Sun, where's she's in the Java group. The
article didn't make it clear that she's with Sun and not Netscape. She's
also been coming to Cypherpunks meetings since the beginning, and posts
here occasionally.

I'm sure she can speak for herself, but she may not see this comment for a
while, hence my comment here.

As for the substance of her remarks, best to let her elaborate. Though,
knowing journalists, it's quite possible that her "remote" remark was
embedded in a much longer comment, which the reporter chose to cut.

--Tim may

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!