1996-02-29 - Re: Simpler solutions (was Re: Stealth PGP work)

Header Data

From: Bruce Zambini <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: c96cda391a1f73b7dc9e0cbb7ed18db483361fb3265a0822f86f6e90e89a46df
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960228102319.16512A-100000@rwd.goucher.edu>
Reply To: <199602280910.BAA29788@ix10.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-29 02:56:34 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:56:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Bruce Zambini <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:56:34 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Simpler solutions (was Re: Stealth PGP work)

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Bill Stewart wrote:

> One point of stealth-pgp is to make an encrypted message you _can_
> safely hide with stego.  Since the Bad Guys can take your stegofied picture,
> destego it, and see the string ------ BEGIN PGP CONTRABAND DATA,
> you can't get away with saying "no, that's just a picture of my cat,
> blurred a bit because he was moving", which you can if you use a true
> stealth version of PGP or other crypto program.

Or, you can develop a public-key stego system...

ie a stego system that uses bits in specific ways depending on the
private key of the recipient.

Something I've been thinking about, but haven't quite figured out how to
do yet, except that one could use certain bits based on a PRNG and begin
the message with an RSA-encrypted seed (ie the first X bits will be the
seed, encrypted with your public PGP key).

(If anyone actually wants to code this, lemme know...)

Jon Lasser
Jon Lasser (410)494-3072                         - Obscenity  is a crutch  for
jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu                            inarticulate motherfuckers.
http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
Finger for PGP key (1024/EC001E4D)               - Fuck the CDA.

Thread