1996-02-06 - Re: Likely application for high-bandwidth proxies (fwd)

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Message Hash: d6f827f8a4cf9bb5e03dda8c77603b40b1f5c75a7952ab71e360d3a41a61604b
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960206065604.5857H-100000@usr6.primenet.com>
Reply To: <199602060324.WAA09394@opine.cs.umass.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-06 11:19:18 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 19:19:18 +0800

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 19:19:18 +0800
To: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Re: Likely application for high-bandwidth proxies (fwd)

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996 lmccarth@cs.umass.edu wrote:

> It would appear that a potentially very popular application for high-
> bandwidth anonymizing proxies has arrived:

	come on Lewis...  where's the sight <sic> address?

	on a little more serious point; the use of multiple high
    bandwidth proxies is fast becoming essential to screen your
    address from the enquiring target, thereby forcing the Feds to
    use either very extensive sniffers or the power of the subpoena (not
    much luck if the records disappear nightly...).  The only clinker is
    the big sites are startig to require registration with legal warnings
    --next of course is payment and they want a credit card --not a check
    or cybercash --a credit card for open debit.

		attila

> Forwarded message from list-managers-digest:
> > From: Project Genesis <genesis@j51.com>
> > Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 02:42:13 -0500
> > Subject: Speaking of spams...
> >
> > Did I mention that Project Genesis is an organization specializing in
> > religious education?  The message below explains why all of our public lists
> > are moderated. I value privacy and have grave doubts about things like the
> > Exon amendment (which may make Internet providers liable), but I also think
> > that we need to ensure that the Internet not become one big red-light
> > district. Spams like this are a step in the wrong direction. It hit several
> > of our religion-oriented lists.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > >Sender: kristina@free.org          [User Unknown - I told her to go away.]
> > >Subject: LIVE NUDE VIDEOCONFERENCING!
> > >
> > >Hi,
> > >My name is Kristina.  I'm a nude model and I'd
> > >love to take my clothes off and entertain you.
> > >You can watch me live and in color on your
> > >computer.  We can type back and forth and I'll
> > >be happy to perform your erotic fantasy.  If
> > >this sounds like fun, visit the website and
> > >download the software. The address is
> > >http://www.[I don't plan to help them].com or you can get the
> > >software from the BBS at 815-[ditto].  I'll
> > >turn the camera on in my studio and wait to
> > >hear from you.  I think you'll like what I have
> > >to show you.  This isn't a movie...you make a
> > >request and I'll probably fulfill it for you.
> > >Look for my picture on the Website.  Hope to
> > >see you soon!
> > >
> > >Love,
> > >Kristina

    go not unto usenet for advice, for the inhabitants thereof will say:
      yes, and no, and maybe, and I don't know, and fuck-off.

    To be a ruler of men, you need at least 12 inches....
    There is no safety this side of the grave.  Never was; never will be.

Thread