1996-02-07 - Re: FV’s blatant double standards

Header Data

From: simsong@vineyard.net (Simson L. Garfinkel)
To: Nathaniel Borenstein <jpp@software.net>
Message Hash: da8d9a7121335f3c452fa4484123c6d69fb07e17930b18cd5d14bd387491aacc
Message ID: <v0213050aad3d12746c4b@[204.17.195.43]>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:36:36 +0800

Raw message

From: simsong@vineyard.net (Simson L. Garfinkel)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:36:36 +0800
To: Nathaniel Borenstein <jpp@software.net>
Subject: Re: FV's blatant double standards

>Simson's comment almost, but not quite, made this clear:
>
>> Yes, clearly if you are not concerned about missing 50-75% of First
>>Virtual's
>> users, this attack will work just fine.
>
>The "just fine" is incorrect, however, because those 50-75% will not be
>MISSED, they will be attacked incompletely, and they will object to
>false transactions, causing our fraud department to launch an
>investigation.  This attack would get stopped pretty quickly, I believe.
> -- Nathaniel
>--------
Well, Simson is being a little terse and not thinking things through, I
guess, because he is in pain with tendonitis and is trying to get out
INTERNET-HATERS.

=============
"Superior technology is no match for superior marketing."
Simson on Tour:

Feb 2 - Feb 5 - Cambridge: Conference on Freely Redistributable Software
Feb 7 - Feb 13 - Baltimore: American Association for the Advancement of
Science.
Feb. 28 - March 1 - Seybold, Boston.
March 23 - NYC. MacFair.
March 27 - March 30: Cambridge. Computers, Freedom and Privacy.

Thread