1996-02-17 - True random numbers

Header Data

From: maruishi@netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dbc79aa77f63b1578d7236d8490c3f4aa29ff927af7d645d8831caba04ea9df9
Message ID: <199602172002.MAA09152@netcom20.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:47:02 +0800

Raw message

From: maruishi@netcom.com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:47:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: True random numbers

I was trying to think of a way to come up with true random numbers...
And knowing a bit of UNIX socket TCP/IP programming I made a small little
program that generates random numbers by measuring the mili-second timing ies a TCP packet to bounce back, from another network.
  My program simply send some data to port 7 (echo port) of a network on an internal list. Then timing it, randomly picks a different network to send to.

 I was wondering if this would be helpful to anyone for generating random key or whatever.

If you want the source code please post a request or e-mail me. If you think for some reason that using this method is a bad idea, I would like to know.

maruishi@netco.com

Thread