1996-02-12 - RE: Encryption software

Header Data

From: Pete Loshin <pete@loshin.com>
To: “medea@alpha.c2.org>
Message Hash: de415dc9716ca644fadd47183f9b4690737a845f1f9d8d96ba6b15a33a1d4763
Message ID: <01BAF936.EF39C200@ploshin.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 02:45:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Pete Loshin <pete@loshin.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 02:45:11 +0800
To: "medea@alpha.c2.org>
Subject: RE: Encryption software

Medea writes:

>  I was telling a friend that I was going to buy a program similar to PC Anywhere to be able to >communicate between my computer at home and the one at the office.  He suggested trying to find a >similar program which includes encryption.
>  Anyone know of such a program?

Norton pcANYWHERE and Stac ReachOut both claim to use encryption
though I don't have any details of what that encryption is.

However, if you use a direct telephone link to communicate, your need
for encryption would mostly be in the event that your telephone lines
were being tapped (though these products can also be used over most
network protocols including IP and IPX).

btw:

In general, when I speak with PC software vendors (product managers)
they almost always talk about how secure their products are but never
have the details (either, "oh, that's proprietary" or else "I'm not sure, I'll
have to get back to you on that...")

-Pete Loshin
 pete@loshin.com

Thread