1996-02-14 - Re: [ADMIN] Unknown address

Header Data

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Message Hash: e49a86c16e20046968a3016b4cecc94a6ec57c227b0c5675ed9b9c7c66dd8beb
Message ID: <199602140135.UAA16777@opine.cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <9602140048.AB19351@cti02.citenet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-14 08:35:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:35:00 +0800

Raw message

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:35:00 +0800
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Unknown address

Jean-Francois Avon writes:
> Hi!  Could you tell me why I receive this message?!?
[...]
> >The user this message was addressed to does not exist at this site.  Please
> >verify the name and domain in the original message that follows.
> >Message was addressed to: SAMUEL.KAPLIN@warehouse.mn.org

Sam Kaplin's account @warehouse.mn.org is apparently gone, but his address is
still apparently subscribed to cypherpunks. Some combination of the headers
placed on outgoing list mail by majordomo@toad, and the mail-return header
interpretation policy enforced by the mailer daemon @warehouse, is causing
list mail bounces to get routed to the original message sender. (Arguing over
which site is "at fault" should probably be done somewhere like the
list-managers list, or much better still, between the sites themselves.)

A week or two ago I forwarded a bounce message to cypherpunks-owner@toad, and
my mail bounced. I asked Eric about it and he told me he hadn't been able to
get into that account for a while (he's the list manager :). Maybe that's been
rectified now. In lieu of that, the most expedient solution to these things
is usually a well-forged unsubscription request to majordomo@toad for the
bouncing address. I think Anonymous claimed to have taken care of that a
couple of days ago, but apparently they didn't succeed.

(Sam K. announced a while back that he would be effectively dropping off the
face of the net....)

Thread