1996-02-08 - Re: Need a “warning” graphic of some kind for CDA

Header Data

From: lunaslide@loop.com
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: ea2e5e34d470d811bb71b814a31207f8803ccb7979cbb02f93ec6ecb1d72a9ee
Message ID: <v01530511ad3f4d2716ee@[204.179.169.87]>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 22:09:19 +0800

Raw message

From: lunaslide@loop.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 22:09:19 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Need a "warning" graphic of some kind for CDA

>About all the proposed symbols and logos and ribbons....
>
>I realize I often come across as a naysayer against collective efforts to
>design logos, arm patches, flags, and other such tribal insignias...(:-}).
>
>Logos and symbols have their place. The "Big Brother Inside" logo is a good
>joke.
>
>But mainly I think that we underestimate the value of _words_. Instead of
>some cutesy logo, such as a red rose being run over by the "Valdez," a logo
>which many people would not understand and would not be interested in
>looking up an explanation for, why not simply include a couple of English
>sentances _describing_ why the page has been censored, why adult material
>has been removed, etc.? (This is the norm today, and I'm glad of it. I
>don't relish looking at a Web page filled with inscrutably clever icons and
>logos.)
>
>Graphical icons are great, and worked well until writing was invented.

I agree that words have thier place, however, combined with easily
recognizable, uniformly similar graphical symbols, they become even more
powerful.  That's one of the greatest strengths of the web, is it not?

lunaslide

On the meridian of time there is no injustice, only the poetry of motion
creating the illusion of truth and drama.
                                                Henry Miller

Thread