1996-02-10 - Re: Benefits of the V-Chip

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: olbon@dynetics.com (Clay Olbon II)
Message Hash: ecbd22e59960c85d89f6d7b1f045c3813dcd7731fb648c3200a55bf1db3ab378
Message ID: <199602100357.TAA22279@ix10.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 18:29:24 PST

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 18:29:24 PST
To: olbon@dynetics.com (Clay Olbon II)
Subject: Re: Benefits of the V-Chip

At 10:11 AM 2/9/96 -0500, olbon@dynetics.com (Clay Olbon II) wrote:
>There is one potential side-benefit to the V-chip -- The inverse-V-chip
..
>I am looking forward to a time when I will never, even accidentally, have
>my TV tuned to "Full House" ;-)

Just as many people program their televisions using VCR-Plus codes to
record the shows they want (using TV Guide as a rating service)
it would be easy for any rating service to publish a list of the
codes for Approved Shows, Banned Shows, Rated-by-interestingness shows, etc.
without putting any government-mandated rating chip in the TVs
or forcing the TV producers to rate them (which also has a chilling
effect on the shows produced.)
#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com / billstewart@attmail.com +1-415-442-2215