1996-02-24 - Re: “Internet Security: Your Worst Nightmare”

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f620f51c73fb36193de74be8062de5d9281326d6affd24a4e5dbce540b5ccb67
Message ID: <ad53f45504021004f74b@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:33:28 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:33:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Internet Security: Your Worst Nightmare"

At 5:56 AM 2/24/96, an44880@anon.penet.fi wrote:
>Those were the words beaming on the cover of this week's _Information
>Week_. The totally worthless article on internet security contained
>this little gem:
>Complete with a picture of Freeman standing in front of an American
>flag.

I haven't seen this article, but I wouldn't hold the cover photo of Freeman
draped in the flag against him....I seem to recall a few Cypherpunks
similarly draped in the flag in a magazine article!

The photos used for stories are even more a matter of artistic choice than
the editing of the text is. Magazines are competing for rack space with the
likes of the several hundred other magazines, and covers are getting more
and more garish and more freakish. (I've ranted about this on other
occasions, so I won't here.)

It's all about sensationalism. I take a jaundiced view of yellow journalism.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!