1996-02-15 - Re: A good cryptanalysis text?

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: scmayo@rsc.anu.edu.au (Sherry Mayo)
Message Hash: f7e2e126790b9e29932b33e645fa501a70399afc9ef56498ba2d168eb1625180
Message ID: <199602151438.JAA28463@homeport.org>
Reply To: <9602150103.AA22683@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-15 19:21:42 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 03:21:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 03:21:42 +0800
To: scmayo@rsc.anu.edu.au (Sherry Mayo)
Subject: Re: A good cryptanalysis text?

Sherry Mayo wrote:

| > A friend of mine is looking for a good introductory cryptanalysis
| > text. Does Schneier's book cover this in much depth or is it more
| > cryptography as the name implies.
| >
| > My friend is a computer networking admin who is trying to widen
| > his background knowledge of security related issues (this may
| > mean that a more computing oriented intro is more suitable).

My single favorite work is by Ross Anderson.  His paper 'Why
Cryptosystems Fail' is excellent, and unknown for reasons that are not
clear to me.  Perhaps its because he diesn't spend all his time
telling the media how wonderful he is. ;)

Next would be Cheswick & Bellovin.  Both are very smart guys, and they
talk a lot about the philosophy of security.  They have a book
'Firewalls and Internet security,' and both have authored many papers.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread