1996-02-21 - Re: Credit card numbers

Header Data

From: Moroni <moroni@scranton.com>
To: Jens Thiel <thielj@cs.bonn.edu>
Message Hash: f98009b413651aa0b2e99bc6def35161737faaf5e215f48f51c3282e2fc03b9d
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960221151336.13150A-100000@mixolydian.scranton.com>
Reply To: <312A4F73.12A8@cs.bonn.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-21 20:54:51 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:54:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Moroni <moroni@scranton.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:54:51 +0800
To: Jens Thiel <thielj@cs.bonn.edu>
Subject: Re: Credit card numbers

  Hi guys,
    Long time no post. Credit card numbers are determined by
algorithmns.If s credit card number is no fitting to that algorithmn it
is phoney. The only way that I know of to determine the validity of the
card if a person has a copy of underground algorithmn generating software
is to use the voice number and a store acct # for a purchase of say
$50.00 or to go through the credit bureau.What I have wondered is if
there is a way to determine a experation date from the credit card number.
                          Bye
                               moroni

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Jens Thiel wrote:

> Is there something like a checksum attached to Credit Card
> Numbers. Or better: Is there a way to determine for a given
> number N if
>   -this _might_ be a valid number
>   -this can't be a valid number
>
> Thanx,