1996-02-20 - Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: IPG Sales <ipgsales@cyberstation.net>
Message Hash: fd8b0dde4997c56b5d881acab627cc9a715112a5dcf58e216438a453ae768a01
Message ID: <199602200306.WAA11013@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.960219183616.5326D-100000@citrine.cyberstation.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-20 06:30:12 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:30:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:30:12 +0800
To: IPG Sales <ipgsales@cyberstation.net>
Subject: Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

I, too, am interested in seeing the underlying algorithms.  Not
because I don't believe that they work, but because I'm interested in
seeing what you may have found that no one else has.  However from
your recent mailing I think I know what you're doing:

> Starting with an OTP as seed? The algorithm may be fixed in a sense, but
> it employs a truse hardware random OTP to select intial settings, adds,
> and limits, so every one is new and unique - a lot of algorithnms can
> generate pseudfo trandom numbers, but onece you knw the algorithm, you
> can generate the random sequence. Our system does not do that - in
> oReder to solve the system, you must know what OTP was used, that is what
> was the true hardware generated OTP. Unless you know what that was,
> knowing the algorithm does nothing for you. If you understand that
> principle you understand the system.

I think this is the key.  Question: if I knew the starting "OTP" that
seeded your algorithms, would I be able to re-create the whole stream
and decrypt a message?  I suspect the answer is "yes".  However if I
knew the algorithm you were using, could I decrypt the message without
the use of the "OTP" key?  I don't know the answer to this question.
I hope the answer is no.  Assuming it is no, then I ask you: when can
I see the algorithm you are using.  Following is an example of why
knowledge of the algorithm is useful but not harmful:

Example: Let's assume I can securely exchange a "OTP" (key) with
someone.  I now run some algorithm using that "OTP", add in the
plaintext, and out comes a random stream which is the encrypted
message.  Is this similar to what POTP does?  I believe the answer is
"yes".  Let me submit that what I described here I can do with DES
using ofb mode to generate a random number stream with which I encrypt
the message.  The fact that I know I used DES does not help me decrypt
the message.  I still need the "OTP" key in order to figure out which
stream of random bits were used to encrypt the message.

> Perhaps so, but our system does employ a true hardware generated OTP, and
> operates similiar to what you describe -  however, the important
> differernce is that we use a smal;l OTP to generate a larger OTP, like
> stringing the cable across the Golden Gate narrows. Just becuase we
> convert over from a full OTP to a prime number wheel system configured
> from the OTP doers not mnean that the result is not an OTP - in theory it

Actually, this statement is false.  What you have is a pseudo one-time
pad, not a true one-time pad.  It's close, though.  The problem is
that the means that you use to convert the smaller OTP to a larger OTP
may be "flawed", and that is the algorithm that I think most people
here want to see.  I do believe that the 5600-bit OTP key material
that you distribute is random.  You claim it is hardware generated; I
believe that.  However that doesn't help me feel any less wary about
the algorithm you use to convert that 5600-bit OTP to a larger
pseudo-random stream.

At best, you have a cipher with a 5600-bit key.  If this is so, I
congratulate you on it.  However I think that I, and others on this
list, would like to see how it is accomplished.  This is mostly
because I believe people here are wary of such systems; key management
and random number generation is a tricky business, and its very easy
to make a slip and get it wrong.  Just look at Netscape and other
systems which have fallen to simple attacks.

I think that people here would like to prove whether or not your
system is vulnerable to such attacks.  Just remember that if it is not
vulnerable, as you claim, then you have nothing to worry aout and you
will gain the acknowledgement of the cypherpunks behind you.  On the
other hand, wouldn't you rather that you know if your system has a
flaw, rather than having some cracker discover it and try to exploit
it rather than inform you?  That is a choice you will have to make.

I believe the cypherpunks offer still stands:  to test your algorithm.

The choice is yours.

-derek

Thread