1996-02-02 - Re: RC2 technical questions

Header Data

From: wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (Mutatis Mutantdis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fe489cdd170c214b8a4f0492dd33ffa7c6aa636f6f0afbcdb6a22b222179abfd
Message ID: <199602022058.PAA21068@UNiX.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 05:40:57 +0800

Raw message

From: wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (Mutatis Mutantdis)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 05:40:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: RC2 technical questions

On Fri, 02 Feb 96 10:02:37 PST, "baldwin@RSA.COM" wrote:

>        In a shameless attempt to move the discussion of RC2 into
>a more technical arena, here are some interesting questions to
>explore about RC2.
>                --Bob

Odd. You're from RSA.COM... It would seem that you're better able to
find these things out than the rest of us.

Make that Alleged RC2, BTW. ;)

I'm rather curious about implementing known plaintext attacks.  The
reliance on addition and anding doesn't make me feel too confident.

For example, the ciphertext produced by the input of all zeros
(plaintext) is basically the added/anded (with rolls) skey bytes.

With a bit of probabilistic analysis one could work at determining the
skey[] bytes.  Weaknesses in the key expansion may help this
further...

Rob.

Thread