1996-03-12 - [NOISE] Re: Do you feel lucky, punk?

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 0a65d08b9bd0e3a79f4649ea3d25115d83d24f77e8e772da3314264b53cdb589
Message ID: <199603110505.VAA03975@ix2.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:32:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:32:13 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: [NOISE] Re: Do you feel lucky, punk?

>In fact, I would argue that a remailer operator will actually be considered
>MORE responsible, legally, than Mrs. Bennis:

On the contrary, the government would have far _less_ ability to forfeit
the property of a remailer-operator for the activities of a non-owning abuser
than they do to seize Mrs. Bennis's car, because the misuser, Mr. Bennis,
was also its owner.

On the other hand, I'd say that a remailer used for assassination politics
is _far_ more likely to be seized, warranted, subpoenaed, and otherwise harassed
that one merely used for unencrypted dirty pictures or encrypted dirty money....
#--
#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215 pager 408-787-1281
# "At year's end, however, new government limits on Internet access threatened
# to halt the growth of Internet use.  [...] Government control of news media
# generally continues to depend on self-censorship to regulate political and
# social content, but the authorities also consistently penalize those who
# exceed the permissable."  - US government statement on China...

Thread