1996-03-10 - Re: SurfWatch

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: jsw@netscape.com
Message Hash: 13d301cfcf1525cab5348a22af62e70c9ce6fcfef67c546b2d94bf5a37022db9
Message ID: <01I25AB1E1DIAKTUGH@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 10:04:51 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 10:04:51 +0800
To: jsw@netscape.com
Subject: Re: SurfWatch

From:	IN%"jsw@netscape.com"  "Jeff Weinstein"  9-MAR-1996 04:41:47.02

>  I predict that 6 months after the first internet rating system is widely
>deployed, the largest use of search engines such as altavista will be to
>look for pages with the most "naughty" ratings.  Perhaps such services will
>allow text searches for free, but charge for searches based on the rating
>tag...

	Unfortunately, AltaVista doesn't index based on comments field (in
which category the SafeSurf ratings fall). Opentext, given that one supposedly
can search for links to a page, may be able to do it on the other hand.
Putting together a web spider that would search for such could be a profitable
undertaking. I did some checking on AltaVista and found one service by the
name of "Naughty Lynx" which automatically checks all of its links every hour
or so - one problem with "adult-oriented" sites is that they disappear a lot.
Some such feature would probably be necessary. Seems to be a good potential
use of the DigiCash system, since one doesn't need merchant anonymnity that
much until someone comes up with anonymous-location web pages; the Naughty
Lynx system appears to support itself via advertising). Combining this with a
web proxy would also be good.
	-Allen

Thread