1996-03-26 - Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary? (Was List O’ , shame)

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Message Hash: 18579dcd5a2221c3039d47908c7a39b13b6583f7ccd6633cbd9eaa4c5e43eded
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960325133305.26503C-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <olJgezi00YUvE7Z68z@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-26 15:53:54 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 23:53:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 23:53:54 +0800
To: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Subject: Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary? (Was List O' , shame)

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:

> Excerpts from mail: 25-Mar-96 So, what crypto legislation.. by Simon
> Spero@tipper.oit.u
> > If the Leahy bill is unacceptable, what legistlation is necessary? I
> > can't see how the use of cryptography in the commission of a crime needs
> > to be a separate offence, but I could see how it could be treated as a
> > special circumstance - that doesn't really needed a new law though.
>
> Leahy's bill will not pass. Period. However, with the introduction of
> this legislation comes a chance to get _our side_ heard by the unwired.

I know I sound like a FUDer, but I really don't think this is going to
make much difference.  The key is going to be industry and business.

Yell at netscape.  No congressperson is going to listen to whinings
from the public about the bill of rights in the face of the fanatic
anti-crime temper of the United States when such an obscure subjection
as encryption is at issue.

> -Declan

---
My prefered and soon to be permanent e-mail address: unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread